For full access to the NICE tools, you will need to take a minute to create a new account for yourself on this website: http://elearning.nice.org.uk/login/index.php.
On completion of this tool learners should be able to:
- Describe the range of guidance on prevention and management of overweight and obesity produced by NICE and why such a range is needed.
- Identify when to raise the issue of weight management with someone and know how to approach this.
- Describe your next steps to support a person to manage their weight.
- Outline the types of services available to provide weight management support.
- Discuss the factors that should be considered in order to refer people to the most appropriate weight management service for that individual.
- Signpost people to appropriate sources of information and services to help them to manage their weight
NICE has a suite of guidance on the prevention and management of overweight and obesity.
This e-learning tool looks at the recommendations for adults contained in three of the guidelines:
- Managing overweight and obesity in adults – lifestyle weight management services (PH53)
- Obesity: identification, assessment and management of overweight and obesity in children, young people and adults (CG189)
- Maintaining a healthy weight and preventing excess weight gain among adults and children (NG7)
The tool will help healthcare professionals to understand how the guidelines can be applied in a practical way to support people with the first steps to managing their weight. It focuses on the recommendations for identifying people who are overweight or obese, raising the issue with them, initial assessment and options for referral or brief advice/signposting to help them manage their weight.